Tuesday, August 10, 2010

MOM! I HAVE A QUESTION!

I have to share this with the world because it was one of those funny moments in my life. Well truthfully I  did not recognize it at the time as being funny but now looking back I can see it for what it was: a very funny moment. It was a beautiful summer Saturday. Birds were chirping, neighbors were busy landscaping their lawns and playing with their children. One was cleaning her vehicle nearby.  Sierra and I and Mackenzie were starting to get into the van when out of the blue at the the top of her lungs Sierra asked me "Mom when you have sex do you get pregnant every time?!" I was stunned and my fear of keeping up with the Jones' kicked in (more like hiding from the Jones') I thought I would hide my embarrassment by hopping into the van. Sierra was a little distraught that I continued to jump in the van without answering her and said even louder "MoM! MoM! I really need an answer to this question! When you have sex do you always get pregnant?!!" In my most instructional curt voice I said "Sierra get in the van". Sierra looking very bewildered at me because of my tone said "MoM?" "Just get in the van and I will explain it" I said. "Mom?"  I explained to her that I would answer her question but that may have not been the best time for her to ask with all the neighbors to hear. She sheepishly looked at me and said sorry. Then I proceeded to explain that you did not get pregnant every time but you never really knew which time you would get pregnant. I explained to her about birth control. Not in depth just that there were different things that you could use to prevent a pregnancy. It was a very interesting conversation as you can imagine. I wonder what the neighbors thought...

Sierra has decided she does not want to go through the pain of labor. So she says she will adopt her children. She has been thinking a lot about this lately; even asking me when I think she should tell her children that they were adopted. Also how I think she could go about telling them. I told her I thought she should tell them right up front as soon as they are able to understand. I told her she could tell them they had two mommies. Sierra the mommy who raises them. Plus they have a tummy mommy (the mommy who carried them in their tummy). I told her I could get books from the library, kid books that she could read to her children to help her explain it. She asked me to get them for her 'now' so she could be prepared. So I am guessing that this was the real reason for our recent sex question for all the neighbors to hear.

I think though I am altogether too often having a keeping up with Jones' mode of thinking. Worried what people will think and not truly motivated by the real deal of life which is Love. Lately I have been going through something with a child of mine. They make choices that in no way play into my version of happily ever after. Nothing too serious, just normal kid stuff. Normal being the operative word because My children were not going to be normal. They were to be so much more than normal. Really as I see it, in my heart I know I am lucky to have normal. If I look closely my children are not even normal, they are just who they are, with their own quirks and lovable qualities. At the end of the day I know because I do not have a 'normal' relationship with them I am privy to information a normal parent would not be. Even if it is information that disappoints me. So when I look at it really I am blessed to have normal children in an abnormally open and trusting relationship. Hopefully I can keep that relationship through their normal growing up years.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Congrats! Great job. I am so very proud of you as always. Love, (your brother) Norm

    ReplyDelete